Sunday, July 5, 2009
Happy Independence Day!
I was happy to have a mix this year of a hometown-feel parade and capital-of-our-nation fireworks. Our neighborhood puts on a very low-key parade that marches down 8th St, just half a block from our house. It has the distinction, however, of being led out by the Marine Corps band, as their barracks just happen to reside on our street. Someone joked that what follows is mostly an endorsement for Phil & Ted's (a popular brand of stroller here), but I thought it was a lot of fun to see the different preschools, churches, community groups, etc. get out and participate. Another friend described it this way, "Half the neighborhood watches and the other half marches."



We walked to the Capitol Building (half a mile from our house) for a view of the national fireworks. We weren't ready to brave the crowds during the day to secure our place to hear Barry Manilow (boo-hoo), but we caught the fireworks with minimal stroller jostling on our way there and back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
looks like so much fun, I am way jealous. You look great Lisa, did you get your hair highlighted? is that a new shirt? :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so jealous of you living there in DC. I remember seeing the National fireworks, but from the other end of the Mall--near Arlington Nat'l Cemetary. I hope it didn't rain!
ReplyDeletelooks like a fun way to celebrate. that will be a neighborhood parade to remember.
ReplyDeleteLooking at Claire in the picture with the dog makes me think I'm looking at your childhood album, Lisa. She looks so much like you as a kid. Sounds like a great 4th. I miss those small town celebrations. I never, ever miss marching in the parade, though. :-)
ReplyDelete